Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Carrot Cake!!

One of my favorite vegetables.Give me one anytime and I would munch my way to glory.My mom used to make this carrot cake while growing up .There wasn't any conventional oven or microwave or any fancy schmancy equipment that she used.Just a simple pressure cooker was all she had to come up with this scrumptious cake.I guess I take after her in her passion for baking but I'm definitely nowhere close to her or many proficient bakers out there .So please bear with me .
I have made this carrot cake a couple of times so I can assure you that you can safely follow the recipe ;).
Here goes:

All purpose flour - 2 cups
Eggs - 3
White sugar - 1 3/4th cups
carrots - 1 1/2  cups(grated or chopped)
Vanilla extract- 2 tsp
Vegetable oil- 1 cup
Cinnamon powder -1 tsp
Baking soda - 2tsp
Baking powder- 2tsp
Salt - a pinch
Pecans/walnuts- 1/2 cup

Pre - heat oven to 350F. Now take the carrots in a microwavable bowl .Add 1/2 cup of water and slightly cook them for about 5 mins.They should not be mushy.For this purpose i prefer to grate the carrot or finely chop them.Drain the excess water.Keep aside.
Now in a mixing bowl ,add eggs and beat them well followed by sugar and oil .Blend them well.Add the vanilla extract. Now add the flour,cinnamon powdersalt,baking powder & baking soda.Mix vigorously to avoid any lumps to be formed.Now fold in the carrots & give it a gentle mix .Finish off with the nuts.

Transfer the cake batter in a greased baking pan (I used the 13by9 inch tray).
Bake for about 40 mins or so.Keep checking often to see if the cake is done.
Cool the cake for about 10 mins before inverting it on a wire rack.
Let cool for another 30mins .
Enjoy your carrot cake!!

Note:
For the frosting I just mixed 3/4th cup of heavy whipping cream with 1/4th cup of powdered sugar.Beat it well till you get a fluffy texture.This measurement is not for the whole cake.I just used it as and when needed.

With a smile
Padma.

1 comment:

  1. Hey tried your recipe and the cake came out great!!!

    ReplyDelete