Friday, June 10, 2011

Apple crumble!!

It was around 10  in the night and suddenly I was craving for dessert.I got up and opened the fridge to see if I could get hold of something.But as they say;when you need something you will definitely not find/have it at the exact moment.All I did see were a couple of apples lying around neglected and in need of immediate help.So up came the idea of making an apple crumble thereby saving the poor fruits and satisfying my craving too.I admit that by the time I was done it was around midnight but the immense satisfaction of tasting the first spoonful of warm crumble along with some whip cream was worth all of it.

So here goes my humble effort at attempting this yummy dessert.

For the filling:

Apples - 2 ( i used the green ones but you can use any variety that you have and mix in some berries too if you have them)
Butter - 2-3 tbsp cold and cut into small chunks
brown sugar - 2tbsp
lemon juice - 1/2tbsp
cinnamon -  a pinch

Peel ,core and thinly slice the apples.Then mix everything together.You may use lemon rind too instead of the juice.It just adds to the tartness.

Put this in a greased pan.
At this point pre heat the oven at 350F.

For the topping:

All purpose flour - 1 cup
Butter - 1/2 cup (cut in chunks)
Brown sugar -  1/4 cup
Granulated sugar - 1/4 cup
Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp(optional)
walnuts/pecans - 4 tbsps(chopped)

I don't like oats in my crumble so I used 1 whole cup of flour but if you do like oats then add 1/2 a cup of oats & 1/2 a cup of flour instead.
Put  them all together in a bowl and gently mix them using your fingertips.
Layer this crumble mixture on top of the fruits in the greased pan.
Place it in the oven for about 30-35 mins.

As time passes by you can smell the heavenly aroma of the crumble throughout the house.

Take the crumble out once you see it turning to a slightly brown color and the apples start bubbling from beneath.

I didn't wait much longer for it to cool down and topped it with cool whip.

You can also serve it hot with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.i didn't have any :( .

Can't wait to have some more!!

With a smile
Padma.

No comments:

Post a Comment